jjsblog1

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Friendship without a face-to-face meeting--real or not?

Real.

Today I got a lovely letterbook from Neosho in Chicago. It's such a lift for me to hear from her. What a cool human! I like her art, humor, writing, attitudes, ideas, etc. I'd love to have her for a neighbor, but it's great to have her where she is, too--in my mailbox!

It was a little slow at work today so I got to tear up a 1889 edition of Charles Dickens' Our Mutual Friend. It was once a beautiful little book with leather binding, illustrations, marbled end papers--but it was falling apart! The cover was already off and the pages were mostly there, but the powers that be at the store had determined that it would be tossed. So rather than just trash it, I got to salvage some good collage stuff --which is one of the biggest blessings of this used bookstore job. It seemed like a sin or something to rip it up, but it would have been worse to see it go in the dumpster and disappear...

Now if I can figure out something terrific enough for it to be a part of...

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 06, 2004, Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

Great to see you blogging julie! I think a scanner is pretty essential for a mail artist with a computer but a small digital camera is handy too.They a pretty cheap now. 5 and 6 mega pixels are too many really as you dont get many photos on your blog. hazel tried it with her fancy new camera and the Flickr monthly account run out after a dozen or so.
I still love to get snail mail ofcourse but I'm increasingly delighted with the things I can see or do using the internet and for a luddite like me thats quite a turn-around from a few years ago when I would have laughed at anyone who suggested I'd be posting more online than at the post office!

 
At Thursday, October 07, 2004, Blogger Ruud Janssen said...

Hi Julie,

Nice to see you started blogging too. It is a strange way to communicate. You send out a message and you don't even know to whom it is going. You see how it works. I saw on Michaels blog a new link, and that is how I found your Blog.

Communication can go fast. With a new toy I have, I could take a photo of somethings I see (or receive by mail) and instantly send it by e-mail with that camera/phone. Too quick sometimes. Actually I still enjoy a letter the most. Even when some envelopes costs me weeks to make.

Ruud
www.iuoma.org

 
At Thursday, October 07, 2004, Blogger Ruud Janssen said...

Hi Julie,

Nice to see you started blogging too. It is a strange way to communicate. You send out a message and you don't even know to whom it is going. You see how it works. I saw on Michaels blog a new link, and that is how I found your Blog.

Communication can go fast. With a new toy I have, I could take a photo of somethings I see (or receive by mail) and instantly send it by e-mail with that camera/phone. Too quick sometimes. Actually I still enjoy a letter the most. Even when some envelopes costs me weeks to make.

Ruud

 
At Thursday, October 07, 2004, Blogger Jonathan said...

Hi Julie...
Welcome to "Blogging by Mail Artists", Michael got me into this, too. I remember Fluxusbucks... I'm sure that I still have a few in some pile or other on the desk in my studio. Poke around in the links... there's much to enjoy.

 
At Friday, October 08, 2004, Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

That's right - all blame me!

 
At Friday, October 08, 2004, Blogger Jonathan said...

Well, Michael... you ARE responsible... thanks (I think)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home